Fanuc Wire (Dry)

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has DRY cut anything in a Fanuc wire. I’ve got a big mold base I need to wire and heard I can cut without the part being submerged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

By saying “dry”, I think you must mean flushing mode as opposed to submerged. I have a 0B and a C400iA and I have flush cut large plates on both of them with the plates hanging out the front of the tank. You will need to set the cutting mode to flushing on the setting screen. You should have a foam cup that goes over the upper nozzle and Fanuc’s rubber curtain device that attaches onto the upper head. These will really help contain the water spraying around. Water will still flow over the top of the workpiece though, so you will want to set up dams to redirect in back into the tank. In my case, I used magnets and shop towels to set up a curtain under the plate to keep water from spraying out the front from under the workpiece. This isn’t something that I do often, but the machines cut better than I expected. Good luck!

1 Like

Plastic trash bag help keep the water inside tank . I have done this lots of times . Have fun get the mop ready .

1 Like

@racey yes that is exactly what I was trying to say. I greatly appreciate the info. @Gabedrummin lol I will have a mop ready. Thank you guys! I will let you know the outcome.

I started doing some research on your question when you said dry EDMing. Dry EDM uses gas as dielectric fluid, and high MRR (metal removal rate) can be obtained to cut high strength engineering materials with the presence of oxygen. Just wanted to share. If anyone is interested I would consider doing a series on this subject.

1 Like