How Accurately can I measure a part using the wire?

I have a part that I would like to measure in the machine before I take it out of the fixture. It has a narrow slot that has to be .015 +/-.0005. I am using .010 wire. Can I measure it with a slot pickup?

1 Like

We have use our wire machine to measure, although slower then other methods, and the fact that you waste a lot of wire make it a second choice for us. Although like i said we have had some success measuring some parts in the wire machine itself. You just have to keep in mind the limitations of your machine and its accuracy.

Many wire machine now have capabilities to use probes and camera’s! but, as far as the wire? Yes, its possible to slow the wire speed to a crawl and measure a part to the accuracies you have described. Depends on the machine and control features. Talk to your manufacturer or give us some details about your machine.

2 Likes

@BlueSparks for sure you can and it is very accurate as long as you keep up with the machine for example vertical adjustments and things of that nature.

1 Like

Could you use a pin to verify the width? Maybe use both the wire and a pin to get a better idea of size.

2 Likes

Which wire machines have probes and cameras?

1 Like

Fanuc has a probe that I’ve seen.I don’t know much about it though.

1 Like

Best to use a gage pin or feeler gage.
To get an accurate pick up, everything has to be clean and dry. And if the part is thick, there’s too much contact surface to use the wire for accurate measurement.

1 Like

FANUC makes use of Renishaw LP2 and LP2H Probes I believe while utilizing GTR Software via Fanuc Control

LP2 is the standard offering, while LP2H has a higher spring force, allowing the use of longer styli and providing greater resistance to machine vibration.

Features and benefits

• Proven kinematic design.
  • Interference-resistant, hard-wired communication.
  • Miniature design.
  • Increased environmental protection.
  • 1 μm to 2 μm 2σ repeatability (dependent on probe).
1 Like

Many EDM manufacturer’s have probes as well as camera solutions. Mitsubishi, Fanuc, Makino, Sodick, +GF all have these capabilities. Utilizing these features all depends on the result your looking for and the accuracy you are trying to obtain. There are also companies offering these options made for ALL EDM manufactures. Talk to your manufacturer directly and give them details as to what you are trying to accomplish.