Thread burning in sodick sinker

Hi Guys, I am about to burn some threads in my Sodick with C axis. My question is should I use the C axis or just have the electrode stay down and orbit out?

In my experience it depends on if you are burning a blind hole or a thru hole. If burning a blind hole I always did an orbit burn. If I have a thru hole I did so using the C-axis. Now if the thru hole is in a thick plate I may go the route of orbit. The advantage of using the C-axis is you can get away with one electrode as opposed to using multiple electrodes in orbit.

1 Like

It depends how the electrode was designed. If the od of the electrode is roughly the same or slightly smaller than the tap drill size for the thread, then you would orbit.

1 Like

I’ve always just flushed thru the trode and orbit. To me, the tricky part is finding that right amount of overburn and hitting it the first time and avoid chasing wear. Cheers, fellas! #EatDatMetal #EarnDatMoney

1 Like

Definitely go with an undersized electrode into a pre-drilled (or EDM ) hole, and orbit out.
The total travel to burn in C axis is much greater.

1 Like

I have always heard that there are only two times you should use a C axis to do threads: none of the time and never. I found after the first time I used the orbit method, this has been my go to rule.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response. I ended up going with the orbit method and it worked out good. I ended up CHASING THE WEAR as @Skip said to avoid, but it ended up working out. Thank you guys for the advise!

1 Like